About China CERNET Federation--CARSI
CARSI (CERNET Authentication and Resource Sharing Infrastructure), is an inter-institutional authentication and authorization project initiated by Peking University. The project has been sponsored by China Next Generation Internet Program (CNGI), National High-tech R&D Program of China (863 Program) and National Program on Key Basic Research Project (973 Program).
CARSI aims to build an authentication and authorization infrastructure for CERNET universities and users so that web resources owned by a single university or other institutions can be shared across CERNET. The corner stone for this cross-domain authentication and authorization infrastructure is the unified identity management systems and web resources already deployed in member universities, as well as web resources provided by related institutions.
As part of CARSI project, CERNET Federation is launched for unified authentication and resource sharing in CERNET and promoting resource sharing among various universities by means of middleware for cross-domain unified authentication and authorization. CERNET Federation is based on the Shibboleth Project of Internet2.
About CALIS-CARSI Services
CALIS-CARSI Services are a set of services provided by CARSI CERNET Identity Federation, China Academic Library and Information System (CALIS) and Digital Resource Acquisition Alliance of Chinese Academic Libraries (DRAA) cooperatively. The vision of the collaboration between CARSI and CALIS is to make it possible that users within China’s higher education community can visit library database resources conveniently.
Like InCommon library Collaboration, CALIS-CARSI services are built on Internet2 Shibboleth, focusing on upgrading library electronic resource providers to become CARSI service providers (SP) in order to improve access to licensed electronic resources. So that, university users can access resources at any time from any place.
Until now, CERNET Federation is already with 37 institutions involved, including 32 universities and 5 Federation Partners:
List of Universities:
- Beihang University
- Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- Central South University
- Chongqing University
- Dalian University of Technology
- Fudan University
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Hebei Normal University
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Jilin University
- Lanzhou University
- Liaoning University
- Nanjing University
- Northeastern University
- Ocean University of China
- Peking University
- Pingdingshan University
- Shandong University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Shenzhen University
- South China University of Technology
- Tianjin University
- Tongji University
- Tsinghua University
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- University of International Business and Economics
- University of Science and Technology Beijing
- University of Science and Technology of China
- Xiamen University
- Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Zhejiang University
- Zhengzhou University
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (IEEE Xplore Digital Library)
- International Network for a Digital Cultural Heritage e-Infrastructure (INDICATE)
- Nature Publishing Group (Nature.com Journals, Palgrave Macmillan Journals)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC Publishing)
- Thomson Reuters (ISI Web of Knowledge)
We invite all institutions within or related to China's higher education and research community to join CERNET Federation.
- As an Identity Provider to enable users to access shared resources provided by other universities or Federation Partners;
- As a Service Provider to provide web resources for CERNET users.
Last Update: Jun 7, 2013